Tesho Akindele wins game as Lions beat Toronto 1-0 at Exploria Stadium
ORLANDO, Florida (May 22, 2021) – Orlando City SC (3-0-3, 12 points) extended their club’s record unbeaten streak to start an MLS campaign on Saturday night, beating Toronto FC (1-3-2, 5 points) by a score of 1 -0 at Exploria Stadium for his sixth consecutive result of the year. Tesho Akindele scored the final winner in the 12th minute of play, having now played a role in the Lions’ three decisive finishes in 2021.
Silvester van der Water recorded his first start for the Lions in the match, recording 59 minutes and winning the assist over the match winner Akindele. Robin Jansson also made his first start of the year on the night, contributing to a defense that retained their fourth clean sheet of the campaign to already tie the team’s 2020 tally at just six appearances in the year. Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese has served in the net for City’s four shutouts in 2021, a number that matches his total in all competitions from a year ago.
Head Coach Oscar Pareja:
“First of all, a great three points against a very good rival. Today we have shown a lot of character. We get to go through the times when the other team has the best initiative, but we have also shown for many moments how we do it, how we can create options and decide plays. We could have been more refined in our finishes, but we have to recognize that Toronto also has options and highlight the performance of our team’s defense. Everyone works the way we wanted when they were pushing us and that makes us enjoy the three points even more.
Summary of scores:
12 ‘Tesho Akindele (Silvester van der Water, Kyle Smith) – ENT 1, TOR 0
The Lions entered the table early, with Kyle Smith playing Silvester van der Water on the right flank, who worked the ball on his left foot before digging into a cross, finding the head of a Tesho Akindele wide open in the center from the surface. to crush in the finish.
- Tesho Akindele scored his second goal of the year, behind only Nani in the squad. Akindele contributed to the Lions’ three game winners in 2021, with two decisive finishes and an assist over Mauricio Pereyra’s game winner at DC a week ago.
- The Lions extended their club record for consecutive results to start a campaign on Saturday night, now 3-0-3 in six games in 2021.
- Silvester van der Water made his first start as a Lion on the evening, winning his first goal contribution for the club with Akindele’s 12th-minute assist.
- Pedro Gallese scored his fourth clean sheet of the season, recording five saves to shut out Toronto, including a pair of late air stops to turn the Reds out. El Pulpo’s four clean sheets surpass his regular season tally from a year ago and equal his total in all competitions as of 2020.
- City’s four clean sheets to start the campaign match their 2020 regular season tally.
- Kyle Smith recorded his first goal contribution of the season with the secondary assist when Akindele arrived, marking the second overall assist of his MLS career. The game was also his 45th regular season appearance as a Lion and his 30th start.
- Head coach Oscar Pareja’s three changes to the starting XI have been the biggest between two games throughout the campaign so far, with Robin Jansson signing his first start of the year with Silvester van der Water . Chris Mueller also returned to the fold to accommodate the third change.
Next match: The Lions hit the road to face the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, May 29 at Red Bull Arena. Kick-off for this game is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.
ENT – Tesho Akindele (Silvester van der Water, Kyle Smith) 12 ‘
Summary of Misconduct:
TOR – Yeferson Soteldo (Yellow Card) 21 ‘
TOR – Auro Jr. (Yellow Card) 63 ‘
ENT – Tesho Akindele (yellow card) 77 ‘
Schedules / substitutions:
Orlando City SC – GK Pedro Gallese; Dr Rodrigo Schlegel, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Kyle Smith; M Mauricio Pereyra © (Alexander Alvarado 87 ‘), Júnior Urso, Sebastián Méndez, Chris Mueller (Benji Michel 70’); F Silvester van der Water (Andrés Perea 59 ‘), Tesho Akindele (Joey DeZart 87’)
Subs not used: GK Brandon Austin; Dr. Michael Halliday, Rio Hope-Gund; Mr. David Loera; F Matheus Aiás
Toronto FC – GK Alex Bono; D Kemar Lawrence, Chris Mavinga, Omar González (Eriq Zavaleta 81 ‘), Richie Laryea; M Auro Jr. (Jacob Shaffelburg 69 ‘), Michael Bradley ©, Yeferson Soteldo, Jonathan Osorio (Nick DeLeon 55’), Marky Delgado; F Jozy Altidore (Ayo Akinola 70 ‘)
Subs not used: GK Quentin Westberg; Dr. Justin Morrow; Mr. Ralph Priso; F Jayden Nelson, Patrick Mullins
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Date: May 22, 2021
ENT – 50.6%
TOR – 49.4%
ENT – 10
TOR – 18
ENT – 5
TOR – 4
ENT – 19
TOR – 10
ENT – 4
TOR – 9
Heineken Man of the Match: Silvester van der Water