Man charged with murder in Minneapolis nightclub shooting


A 24-year-old man was charged Wednesday with nine counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with the mass shooting over the weekend outside a downtown Minneapolis nightclub that left two dead and many more injured in a brief but furious sidewalk shootout.

Juwan C. Carroll, of St. Paul, remains in jail in lieu of $ 1 million bail before his court appearance Thursday.

On Monday, the two fatally shot shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday in front of Monarch in the 300 block of N. 1st Avenue were identified as Christopher R. Jones Jr., 24, of Brooklyn Park, and Charlie B Johnson, 21, of Golden. Valley.

Jones died exchanging gunshots with Carroll on the crowded sidewalk, according to the charges. Johnson was shot in the back as he fled the chaotic scene which involved at least four shooters, according to the charges.

Of the seven other injured, four women and three men, one was last reported in critical condition.

The most seriously injured was a woman shot in the cheek and neck, and another bullet was fired within an inch of her skull, charges say. A man took three hits in the shoulder and buttocks. Another man had a bullet grazed under his right eye.

The bloodshed laden with wounded represented two in four people killed in the city this weekend, prompting the police to seek outside help in an attempt to quell the violence.

There have been 32 homicides in the city so far this year, after a particularly deadly 2020, in which 84 people were killed. The total in 2019 was 48. As of the weekend, more than 190 people have been injured or killed in shootings, up from around 75 at this point in 2020, according to police department data.

The call for additional law enforcement also comes in the wake of three children aged 11 and under who have been hit by gunfire in recent weeks, killing one and seriously injuring two. No arrests were made in any of these cases.

Johnson went out with friends on Friday night to celebrate their graduation ceremony the next day at St. Thomas University in St. Paul. Johnson and his friends were on their way home when they were hit by stray gunfire, his father Greg Johnson said on Sunday.

According to the criminal complaint:

Video surveillance outside the nightclub showed Carroll shooting Jones. Police recognized Carroll in video of previous law enforcement encounters and know him to be associated with the Tre Tres street gang.

Earlier footage from surveillance video showed Carroll “and several companions” on the sidewalk just south of Monarch. Carroll’s group then has “verbal exchanges” with a group including Jones.

Someone with Carroll hit Jones in the head, then Carroll opened fire on Jones at close range. Carroll continued to shoot as Jones ran towards the Monarch entrance.

Just before reaching the entrance, Jones turned and returned gunshots at Carroll.

Carroll continued to fire, prompting two other men to retaliate. Carroll continued to shoot as passers-by were in danger. Jones fell to the sidewalk within 10 seconds of the first shots.

A friend of Johnson’s said the two of them had just come out of an alleyway near Monarch and onto the sidewalk, when the shots erupted. Johnson fled to the street and was shot in the back, struggled a bit and then fell where he died.

Paul Walsh • 612 673-4482

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.