Berks Country Calendar for September 7
• The Historical Society of the Region of Hamburg presents Matthew Dodd with a program on the stories and songs of the American wanderer, 7 pm, LGI hall of the Hamburg high school.
• Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue Open House, Golden Gateway Facility, 60 Vera Cruz Road, East Cocalico Township, Lancaster County, 10 a.m. to noon. Meet and greet golden retrievers and dogs that are available for adoption. Staff are on hand to answer any questions and food is also available for purchase. No admission fees. No pictures. For more information, contact [email protected], call 717-484-4799 or visit https://dvgrr.org/adopt/monthlyopenhouse.
September 11th :
• Free outdoor concert by DESIRE, featuring doo-wop music from the 50s and 60s, Hill Church Picnic Grove, 620 Hill Church Road, Pike Township, 4-6 p.m. Food available at 3 p.m. Good weather, bad weather. A voluntary offering will be accepted. For more information call 610-367-8114 or visit http://www.stjohnhillucc.org
• Community block party, Reformation Lutheran Church, 3670 Perkiomen Ave., Exeter Township, 11am-2pm, worship at 9:30am Food trucks: Jakes of Mount Penn, Comalli Taqueria of West Reading, vegan and gluten-free tent, RoseLawn Bistro; music: Reading Symphony Jr. Strings, Exeter Community Band, Mark James, guitarist, plus inflatables, balloons, first responders, health checks and community nonprofits. Children’s activities are free. Food to buy. Exeter Township First Responder Benefits.
• Basket Bingo, Kutztown Grange Hall at 6:45 pm, doors open at 5:30 pm Tickets $20 for 25 games, including soda, hot dog and door prizes; promotions, jackpot and raffles not included. For tickets and reserved seating, call 610-395-3889.
• Fall Fest, St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 5 Brooke Manor, Birdsboro, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., rain or shine. Food, a barrel train ride, moon jumping, face painting, bingo and games. Music by Dave Kline and his band and Threefold Blessing. Silent auction of themed baskets, antiques and other selections, auction of kid-friendly items and raffle for a Christmas quilt. There will be an apple pie contest. Registrations must be registered before September 10, $5 registration fee. The app can be found on St. Mark’s Facebook page or call the church office at 610-582-8167. Tickets for chicken dinners and apple dumplings as well as Christmas quilt raffle tickets can also be purchased from the church office.
• Friends of Mifflin Community Library Kauffman’s Chicken BBQ sale, Walgreen’s parking lot, 2203 Lancaster Ave., Cumru Township, 10 am-1 pm For more information, call 610-777-3911
• Southern Gospel Concert with Brian Free and Assurance, Bridge of Hope Church, 309 W. Franklin St., Womelsdorf, 6 p.m.; $15 adults, children 4-12 years old, $10. The love offering will be received. Call 484-651-0108.
• Annual fall flea market and basket raffle, Calvary United Church of Christ, 1231 Route 100, Washington Township. An outdoor sales area is available. Visit www.calvaryucbarto.com.
October 1st :
• Friends of Mifflin Community Library Washington, DC, bus trip. Departs from the Library, 6 Philadelphia Ave., Shillington, at 8 a.m. and returns around 9 p.m. $70 per person. Join the library. For travel inquiries, email [email protected] The registration deadline is August 31.
• Berks County Bike Club’s annual Shoe-Fly Classic, Oley Fairgrounds, 26 Jefferson St., Oley, features three ride choices with 20, 40 and 60 mile routes plus a gravel option, all at the support of the Greater Reading Alliance for mental health. Visit http://www.berksbicycle.com for more details and to register.
• Sale of sausage sandwiches at the drive-thru, St. Peter’s Christ United Church, 122 W. Franklin Street, Topton, from 10 a.m. while supplies last. Cost: $6. Enter at Broad Alley and exit at Franklin St.
• Schwarzwald United Church of Christ Autumn Festival, 75 Church Lane Road, Exeter Township, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Food including apple dumplings, apple cakes, pumpkin pies, crumb pies of cherries, peppered cabbage, applesauce. Pre-orders preferred. There will also be music and games for children. Children’s activities start at 10 am, the cost is $5 per child, which includes all activities. For more information, call 610-779-0850.
• Italian Hoagie Sale, Pioneer Grange, 46 E. Keller St., Topton. The deadline to order is September 25. Cost: $5. Withdrawal from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Salle Grange. Orders: Tammy at 610-463-7213.
October 7 and 8:
• Harvest Fest 2022, St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, 94 Walnut Road, Tilden Township, 4-9 p.m. Oct. 7 and noon-9 p.m. Oct. 8. Oct. 7 Music: Flamin’ Dick & the Hotrods (6-9 p.m.) Oct. 8 Music: The Golden Tones Polka Band (1-4 p.m.); polka mass 4:30 p.m.; The New Individuals Band (6 p.m. to 9 p.m.) Homemade ethnic food, games for all ages, rock face and bungee jumping, hay rides, first responders, bingo, themed baskets, raffles, corn maze. Free entry, ample parking, no coolers. For more information, call 610-562-7657, visit http://www.stmaryhamburg.org or Facebook.